Saturday, August 6, 2011

Additions to Happy Trails

On June 23, at 10:50 PM (Thailand Time) we acquired 2 temporary additions to our adventure! Travis's mother and sister flew all the way from the USA just to meet us for 2 weeks of crazy Thailand adventures! It worked out perfectly as we had just flown in from Yangon, Myanmar 2 hours before. After our happy reunion we taxied it to Teresa's (alas not present) swanky apartment and stayed up late talking, all of us excited despite our long day's travels.

The next day we all went to the Grand Palace. It is the King's house, and looks rightly so. Every surface encrusted with colorful tilework or shimmering with mirrors, I just enjoyed myself so much with Katy and Mom's exclamations of "Oh Wow!" and "This is the most beautiful place I've ever been!". It really let me see this marvel in an even more fresh and delightful light, through two fresh arrivals and their wonder rubbing off on me. It made me remember how much everything pops when you first get to a place. The mundane is so interesting and delightful, like the spirit houses: tiny houses that stores, hotels, offices, and family homes put in their main areas as little altars covered in fruit, flowers and little statues. They are each unique and have their own flair, but I have seen so many of them I hardly notice them now. Katy and Mom were so amused by them that it made me think about how awesome they were again.

One day since they have arrived sticks out in my mind as one of the best that I have had since we have been on this trip. We began in a songteaw (a pickup truck with seats and a cover installed in the bed) that we hired for the day, in the rain. That's right folks, it's the rainy season. It rains almost every day, and the foliage is so lush for it. By the time we got to Erawan State Park the rain had abated, and the humidity started to climb. We walked down the red dirt path, skipping over rocks and vines with the drops forming little jewels all over the leaves beside. Soon we arrived at the attraction: some of the most beautiful waterfalls I have ever seen. Since it had rained that day, I guess most people had decided to skip the waterfalls that day, so we had the place to ourselves. We dove into the water and swam underneath the pounding falls. We had like a little room underneath, where could sit underneath and look out at the jungle. The little fishes nibbled our legs when we we swam back. There were actually 7 of these waterfalls but sadly we only made it to 3, as we had another appointment.

Our next destination was one that I had been looking forward to since I began planning this trip, and I am so so happy that Mom and Katy (and of course my beloved husband) could be there to share it: The Tiger Temple! We paid 600 Baht (USD$20) to get in and oh how the fun began. On our way in was an open forest type area with wild pigs and deer roaming freely. We spotted up ahead the animal of our goal: the tigers! A few older tiger cubs lolled about with monks on the other end of their leashes, and we approached excitedly. The beautiful orange and black coat, the alert, inquisitive eyes, oh what power and awe it was to touch this rare and sacred animal. Never in my life will I forget the surge I got that first physical connection I made with this feline.

Only a few moments later we were standing in line to have our photos taken with the big tigers. A small Thai woman led us around by the hand individually to get a chance to touch 6 or 8 more adult tigers. These huge, beautiful beasts slumbered away as oodles of tourists timidly stroked their paws and grinned nervously for photos...such an unforgettable experience when it was my turn. Katy, Mom and Travis were all equally amazed as me at their incredible luck at getting to visit this special place. I was there and I can assure you, these tigers were not drugged. Only a few minutes after laying placidly like huge kittens they were batting at their toys and rolling over one another during "exercise time". This was a very professional establishment and there were many trainers and safety precautions implemented. Ok, there is a tiny, tiny chance of getting mauled, as tigers are wild animals, but 500 tourists do this every day and there have been no problems that I've heard of (and I've done research on this place) so I figured the potential benefits would be greater than the risks. And how right I was.

Now we are relaxing at a beautiful resort on Koh Lanta, in South Thailand, on the Andaman Coast. This place is swank. A pool with an infinity edge overlooking the white sand, palm fringed beach, a cute dog to greet us every day, and the best pad thai on this side of the Indian Ocean, is making doing nothing at the beach a something sort of experience. Yesterday Katy and Mom rented motorbikes and Katy had her first try at driving the bike, and she did great, even down a steep and rocky hill. Tomorrow we are going kyaking at some nearby uninhabited islands. We are so happy that they are here, and they have made the last two weeks like a vacation from our vacation. Haha you need those sometimes, and the beach is just the place for it.



Family Fun Photos!
Tiger Photos! Oh my!


---
Originally written on 3rd July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment